What This Blog Is All About

I need to be healthier. Badly. Individual efforts have not sufficed, so I'm hoping the support of friends, family, and anyone who happens along this blog can help me along.


For a fuller description of what I'm doing and how people can help, click here to read my first post.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Week In Review

Pounds Lost: 11.5
Miles Walked: 10
Miles Biked: 7.5
Games Bowled: 2 (these were lesser quality performances than my walking-while-reading and even my neophyte biking, but I rarely get to use the phrase ChuckSMASH! in other situations)
Amount Raised for the Buffaloe Scholarship: $132.50

One person asked me to post what's different in my life each week from this.  This week was a great start.  I don't expect to keep up this kind of velocity on the weight, but that's OK.  While the tracked goal is weight loss, that's because it's quantifiable and easily sharable with all of you.  The end product of this process needs to be a maintainable lifestyle that keeps me healthy.

The walking/biking every day has surprised me with its sustainability.  I really thought my knees or feet would protest, but they've felt excellent all week.  I would like to thank the Pflugerville Rec Center for resurfacing their walking track this spring - it's made a huge difference!

I'm (overly?) proud of myself for what I've eaten this week.  I'm not perfect, there's still things I need to do less or more of, but any one of these days would be the healthiest day of most weeks I've had.

I'm nervous after this morning's weigh-in.  Rationally I know this is the danger of frequent weigh-ins, and that the momentum is still built, but it scares me a bit to think that my activity and eating levels the last 2 days could sustain me at 350 pounds.  I hope these fears will go away soon.

The main feeling this week has been shock and awe at how all of you have responded beyond my hopes when I started this blog.  10 individuals/companies have pledged $11/pound, $1/workout, books for meeting my monthly goals, and $850 for meeting the 75-pound goal so far, and 31 of you have contacted me with support and encouragement.  That's been a huge difference-maker in keeping up the exercise and healthier eating each day.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. You sir, are the man. I pledge $5/lb up to $400; if you hit the 75 lb mark I'll round it up to the max.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Steven. There's no if - you will be rounding up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that you might consider are buying really good running shoes. Out of all my friends that do marathons and triathalons, their number on recommendation is having good shoes. The common recommendation is of course run tex or hill country running....something to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, shoes are key. My current pair of New Balance are good but old - will definitely need to get a new pair soon, especially at this pace.

    ReplyDelete